In spring of 2008 I set a formidable goal for myself: to lose 50 pounds. As I begin this blog, I have now surpassed the 80-pound-loss milestone. Naturally, I get lots of requests from people wanting to know my “secrets.” I feel blessed by the ways in which I have inspired others by my own journey, and this blog represents an attempt to share the knowledge, insights and experiences I have encountered along the way. But, the title of this blog—“Finding Life in Loss”—is two-fold. While it’s easy to see how one might find “life” again through weight loss, I hope to address the topic of “loss” in a much broader context; for, I believe our experiences of loss and grief have just as much potential to lead us into new life. Those are the real “secrets” I hope to share. And please feel free to post comments--I love the interaction of knowing that others are reading!
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Refuse to Let Life Get in the Way
Transitional periods, or change in general, can often wreak havoc on our progress towards meeting health and fitness goals. It's easier, during these periods, to fall back into old routines. Rising stress levels trigger cravings for certain comfort foods. Or, we start to rely more heavily on "convenience" foods as we adjust to changes in our schedule. I recognize, for myself, that I tend to become more "near-sighted" during such transitional periods--and my way of catching myself from falling into making less-than-healthy choices during this time is to intentionally make the time to plan ahead. I don't know that anyone has ever "planned" to fall off the wagon; rather, falling off the wagon is more likely to happen when we don't already have other alternative plan in place.
Working out has also been more of a challenge for me lately. My new job is demanding and requires an extreme amount of energy from me each day. My old self would think I need to go home and "rest" after such a challenging day; my new self recognizes that working out is EXACTLY what I need in order to burn off the stress hormones and return to a better state of equilibrium before starting another day. I'm finding the workouts more difficult during this time; yet, at the end of the workout, it is crystal clear to me that this was exactly what I needed. It's a reminder that although it does require work, the results will always follow. The best things in life don't come to us for free!
Something I've been reflecting on during my last few workouts is that my energy and drive seem to be lacking. I'm still putting in the work, but there is a certain spark missing. Two things come up for me as I reflect on this fact. One, I've recognized the need to spend some time considering what my current source of motivation is. To workout with focus, I need to know what I'm focusing on. Has my focus somehow changed in recent months, or have I just momentarily lost a connection with my original focus? These are things I will need to think about. Secondly, it brings up how ESSENTIAL it is that, in order to be successful in working towards our health and fitness goals, we be the authors of our own motivation. It all has to come from within; otherwise, in times like these, everything breaks down if we don't "own" the very source of what drives us. Certainly we can be inspired by others, but we have to personalize our goals and make them our own. I didn't lose weight by following a set of external rules for a given diet or an exercise prescription; rather, I transformed my life by incorporating a whole new perspective on what it means for me to be a healthy human being and then I created a personalized road map for how to reach certain goals. If I hadn't personalized this journey and made it my own, I would have given up long ago.
Great post. We think a lot alike...kinda scary. Your last few statements reminded me on Romans 12:1-2:
ReplyDelete"1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Great post!! Keep it up!!
Thanks for sharing the Romans passage. Clearly there has been a spiritual element to my fitness journey, and this text highlights some of why that is. I've actually thought about how it would be possible to write a book on the Theology of Fitness, as I see many connections between what I experience and learn during my workouts and how I encounter and perceive the rest of the world around me and life itself--and of course all of that is shaped and influenced by my core faith in God.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading and sharing!