In spring of 2008 I set a formidable goal for myself: to lose 50 pounds. As I begin this blog, I have now surpassed the 80-pound-loss milestone. Naturally, I get lots of requests from people wanting to know my “secrets.” I feel blessed by the ways in which I have inspired others by my own journey, and this blog represents an attempt to share the knowledge, insights and experiences I have encountered along the way. But, the title of this blog—“Finding Life in Loss”—is two-fold. While it’s easy to see how one might find “life” again through weight loss, I hope to address the topic of “loss” in a much broader context; for, I believe our experiences of loss and grief have just as much potential to lead us into new life. Those are the real “secrets” I hope to share. And please feel free to post comments--I love the interaction of knowing that others are reading!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

It's Not a Cakewalk

Change is not easy. It requires effort, determination, perseverance, vision. There will be growing pains. In reality we should know this. Unfortunately, the society we live in--a society that stresses consumerism and consumption--markets "the good life" in a way that makes it look like all the "good things" are easy to obtain. Spend the right amount of money on the right kind of thing and "abracadabra:" instant happiness. When we are in touch with our true selves, however, we know better than to buy into this mentality. We know the promises are empty ones. The real path that leads to our dreams--whatever they may be--requires hard work and dedication. I promise the hard work is well worth it--not just in the end, but all throughout the journey.

Sometimes others make it look easy, but it's not a cakewalk. Sure, I've lost over 80 pounds, but it happened one pound at a time just like it does for everyone else. I am no different than anyone else. I still work hard, pushing myself to my limits and beyond. I do this because I find this task important, in and of itself. I want to grow and be stronger and challenge myself. The journey has never been just about losing weight for me. It has been about living my life. And somehow I am finding the gym to be one of the greatest teachers I've ever had on the topic of what it means to live life. And so with each workout I go to sit at the fountain of wisdom and learn what I can about myself and about what it means to be Kristy-in-this-world.

In my current setting-in-life, there are things I struggle with that are somewhat outside of my control. Continuing to work on improving my fitness and overall health is one area of my life in which I can still maintain complete control. And honestly, it also reinforces my ability to deal with and withstand the pressure of the other more stressful parts of my life. Still, there are days I struggle even with working out. Yesterday, for instance: after a rough day, I wanted to go home and simply crumple into a heap of tears. Instead, I honored my commitment and showed up to my workout. I'm not sure I was convinced that I'd make it through the whole workout, but I showed up anyway, to give it whatever I had in me. I pushed myself, worked out hard, and I can't even begin to tell you how amazing I felt when the workout was over. The gym gives me an outlet for working out my frustrations. I find something absolutely cathartic in the process of having sweat dripping from every pore in my body. Afterward I can literally feel myself from the inside out...as I recognize that the stress toxins have been expelled from my body and there is a renewed sense of calm and peace flowing through my bloodstream. Take my word for it: this whole journey is not a cakewalk, but it is definitely much better than eating cake! The rewards are deep and long-lasting and life-giving.

I do still enjoy a little bit of cake every now and then, but in the overall spectrum of my life I have grown to recognize that a lot of things exist out there that are much more important to me than cake. You can have your cake, and eat it, too...but is that what you really want? What is it that you REALLY want?

3 comments:

  1. Kristy,
    What an amazing journey you are on. Thanks for sharing what is happening - body and soul!
    Peace and all good.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy,

    Hi. Thanks for sharing in your post. I just happened to see a comment you left on my blog back in July. I've been dealing with loss of a lot of things since that time and hadn't really followed up on my own blog.

    In June I lost my job. But, it was a blessing because it allowed me to care for my terminally ill Mom. On September 27th, she passed. As a Christian, I firmly believe she's in heaven with Jesus. But, this grief thing really stinks.

    Anywho, thanks for writing. I'll be following your blog.

    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia: Thank you for your comments...good to hear from you!

    Chelle: Thank you for your comments as well. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have several other friends who have lost a parent in the last year or two and this has touched my heart significantly. Grief does really stink--this topic has been on my mind and heart and soul recently, in powerful ways; your message prompts me to want to do some more writing and sharing rather than keeping my thoughts to myself. Be well my friend...you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete