In spring of 2008 I set a formidable goal for myself: to lose 50 pounds. As I begin this blog, I have now surpassed the 80-pound-loss milestone. Naturally, I get lots of requests from people wanting to know my “secrets.” I feel blessed by the ways in which I have inspired others by my own journey, and this blog represents an attempt to share the knowledge, insights and experiences I have encountered along the way. But, the title of this blog—“Finding Life in Loss”—is two-fold. While it’s easy to see how one might find “life” again through weight loss, I hope to address the topic of “loss” in a much broader context; for, I believe our experiences of loss and grief have just as much potential to lead us into new life. Those are the real “secrets” I hope to share. And please feel free to post comments--I love the interaction of knowing that others are reading!
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Happy New Year--It's Your Shot!
Regardless of whether you are traditionally a resolution-maker or not, the beginning of a new year still provides a great opportunity to pause and reflect on your life in a more focused way. Where have you been? Where are you going? Where are you now? What changes are you looking to make in your life? What new adventures lie ahead?
For many the new year also serves as a natural jump start to focusing on new (or old!) fitness goals. This has been true for me....although I actually began a week ahead of schedule. For some time I had been needing some sort of refreshed new or renewed goal for my fitness routine and overall health journey. I was waiting for some sort of inspiration to rise to the surface as I simply let my thoughts simmer on the back burner for a while. Finally, in the last week of December I knew what I wanted to do. I had been longing to get back in a real, physical gym. I gave up my previous gym membership last spring and had been relying on other means of working out to continue in my fitness adventures; but, my options became much more limited as the shorter days and more inclement weather of winter set in. So, the week before New Year's I marched up to the brand new 24 Hour Fitness gym that opened up a few miles from my house and promptly joined. It brought me such joy that it became like a new love affair as I couldn't wait to get back and visit the gym every day that week. I loved the new facilities, the new equipment, the new options and variety--being able to use the cardio equipment, the weight machines, the free weights, and join in the group classes....and, of course, reward myself afterward with a soak in the whirlpool.
Of course, as the New Year dawned, I finally managed to get sick and had to take a break from the gym. But, I am finally on the mend and plan to return later this week. For now my new fitness goal--borrowed from Bob Harper--is simply to "burn mad calories." I attribute my overall success in my fitness journey to at least two things: keeping it simple, and keeping it broad. The "simple" part for me is that losing weight (or gaining or maintaining) ultimately, as I've mentioned before, comes down to a simple mathematical equation: Calories In vs. Calories Out. Generally speaking, if you burn more calories each day than you are taking in, you will gradually lose weight. (Keep in mind there is also a minimum number of calories you must eat in order to help keep your metabolism balanced....so you can't simply starve yourself in an effort to increase your calories in vs. calories out ratio.) The "broad" part for me is what makes my "fitness plan" sustainable: my fitness journey became a real lifestyle change because my plan of action mostly centered around simply living a more active life. My new current focus on "burning mad calories" continues in this thread. I enjoy being able to incorporate variety into my workouts and I don't really have the time these days to plan out a detailed workout regimen. By simply focusing on "burning mad calories" I am free to pack my gym bag, throw on my tunes, and head to the gym. When I get there I can do whatever I want....run, bike, hike, dance, kickbox, row, lift weights, swim, play basketball, or any other variety of activities available to me at the time. There are no rules but to keep moving! And keep sweating!
There's a quote on the wall inside the basketball court area of my gym that says: "It's not over until you've WON!" And nearby on the next wall: "It's your SHOT!" Every day that you show up....you are winning! The journey continues every day...each day a new chance to prove what you are capable of. This is your shot. Take it! Savor every moment. Because winning feels divine! Maybe you don't feel yet like you are winning? Keep showing up and continuing with the baby steps--you are making your way. Remember, it's not over until you've won, so there is no reason to give up now. It's your shot! And remember: keep it simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment