In spring of 2008 I set a formidable goal for myself: to lose 50 pounds. As I begin this blog, I have now surpassed the 80-pound-loss milestone. Naturally, I get lots of requests from people wanting to know my “secrets.” I feel blessed by the ways in which I have inspired others by my own journey, and this blog represents an attempt to share the knowledge, insights and experiences I have encountered along the way. But, the title of this blog—“Finding Life in Loss”—is two-fold. While it’s easy to see how one might find “life” again through weight loss, I hope to address the topic of “loss” in a much broader context; for, I believe our experiences of loss and grief have just as much potential to lead us into new life. Those are the real “secrets” I hope to share. And please feel free to post comments--I love the interaction of knowing that others are reading!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Packing for the Journey

So, what goes in that suitcase for the 50 pound journey that differs from the 5 pound weekend trip? What sort of preparations would I need to make in order to ensure my trip would be a success?

Know your WHY. The most important element, in my view, is to know and be able to clearly articulate the reasons you are making the trip in the first place. This is the WHY. This is going to be the rock that you cling to when the struggles and the temptations to fall back into old patterns arise. When things become uncomfortable, we often want to return to something familiar, even when it is harmful. This WHY is going to be that new vision, that new hope that gives you something to focus your eyesight on in order to keep you on track. This WHY will be the mantra that you chant in your head to drown out those other inner voices that try to inhibit your continued forward motion. This WHY is going to be your source of strength when you feel weak. This WHY is going to be your clarity when things get difficult and you may feel like giving up. This WHY is going to be the key that drives your motivation.

Build a SUPPORT system. I also made sure to pack accountability. As soon as I made the decision to lose 50 pounds, I told nearly everyone I knew. Sure, this may sound risky if you are afraid of failing; but, this time I was planning not to fail. I knew that in order not to fail I NEEDED to build up that community of accountability. In addition to gaining the support from family and friends, I also enlisted the help of a personal trainer to help kick start my journey.

Know what HASN'T worked. In the past I had done excellent work in managing a healthy diet. What was finally clear to me, now, was that exercise was the key component missing from my previous attempts at returning to a healthier self. This time around, exercise was going to be the very core of my plan of action rather than some peripheral component. I knew how to eat somewhat healthy. Now my focus was on physical fitness--and returning to a body-state in which I was free once again to fully enjoy the kinds of activities I wanted to be involved in.

Plan the WHEN. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. I was in graduate school and working full time, but just approaching my summer break from school. This sudden influx of "free time" was just what I needed to have confidence in my ability to remain consistent in working out. I had already joined a gym, so now it was time to step it up and get to work. Decide what time of day works best for you to work out (in terms of energy, motivation, and availability), and create a plan of action.

These are at least a few of the key elements that should be given important consideration in packing for your trip. Undoubtedly, what people pack in their own individual suitcases is going to be as unique as they themselves are. Although the journeys may look quite similar on the outside, each individual's journey is, in fact, quite personal in nature. I hope that my sharing of insights from my own journey might somehow help shed some light or spark of inspiration for your own--whether your travels involve losing 50 pounds or dealing with some other form of loss. As this blog unfolds, I hope to look at the topic of loss in a much greater context than simply weight-loss.

2 comments:

  1. This is very inspiring...Thanks Kristy for sharing your program. You look FABULOUS!

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Laurel! It's quite an eclectic program, as I've taken bits and pieces from lots of places, but I'm happy to share what I've learned along the way!

    ReplyDelete